Soaking Serenity

Baths and Teas for Stress Relief


nut megWarm milk and nutmeg makes a delicious, creamy sleep aid. Milk mixed with aromatic spices to treat the mind and body veers into the realm of Ayurvedic medicine. This natural insomnia remedy is, in my opinion, a treat. It takes a minute to prepare, but on those cool, rainy nights, it is a mystic drink to sip before slipping off to sleep. 


A word on nutmeg benefits and risks. This fragrant spice has quite a few interesting properties. Gently calming, it is a fantastic remedy for late night restlessness, aka, insomnia. It is warming and stimulating. Rich in volatile oils, nutmeg helps to relieve stomach problems like gas and indigestion. It also has hallucinogenic properties and can be toxic in large doses. As lovely as the aroma is and as delicious as a nutmeg milk can be, this is a sleep aid that probably shouldn't be given to children. Taking more than one teaspoon will likely make you feel sick and it can be dangerous in large quantities.

That being said, here is my warm milk and nutmeg recipe:


  • 1 cup milk, soy milk, or almond milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon powdered nutmeg
  • pinch of ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon raw honey
  • 1 teaspoon water


Add the spices to your mug (I warm my cup with hot water to start). Add just enough water to make a paste. Slowly heat your choice of milk to just under boiling and then pour over the nutmeg and cinnamon paste. Stir well and let the drink cool to a reasonable temperature. Sip and enjoy as you drift off to a peaceful sleep.


1 comments:

If I wanted a paste I would have asked for that I just want milk nutmeg and cinnamon without all these things to do what a waste

Post a Comment

Disclaimer

I am not a health professional, but a tea drinker! My goal is to share my experiences with teas and soothing baths. This website does not intend to diagnose or treat any disease. If you need medical advice, consult with the professionals!!!